Sunday, May 31, 2009

On the joys of a freshly cut lawn

I've had several jobs in my life which involved a huge end of the night cleanup. And I've always found them satisfying. Even if I don't like the cleaning, I love the outcome. There is a simple satisfaction in looking at a clean and sterile canning line that less than an hour before was covered in blood, guts and gills. I find the same thing with mowing the lawn. I don't particularly like it, or weed-wacking but I love sitting on my back steps looking over the nicely kept yard.

Perhaps it is some deep down sense of renewal and a reminder of the cyclical nature of existence that makes it special. Maybe it is the simple animal enjoyment of making something happen that we never get over. Look Mom I stacked cans. Look guys, I shotgunned 12 beer. Look dear, this wet spot is huge. The simple act of interacting with the world is always enjoyable on some level.

Not a terribly interesting post, but at least I wrote something. I think I'll have a beer on my steps to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment