Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A writer writes?

Further proof I'm not a real writer seems unnecessary at this point.

I guess if writers tend towards writing, then grad students tend towards procrastination. Or maybe that's how I justify doing too little for too long--the classic 'that's how everyone is' defence.

But, let me get back to the point of this blog. I need to write each day. (This sentence started as: "I need to try and write each and every day". Holy fuck, try and edit in your head goofball...yikes). I sometimes stumble because I am worried I don't have anything to write about. However, that too is a transparent excuse for inaction. I have lots of these excuses. "I don't have time to finish that article, so why start". "This is my only day off, and I do need to recharge". "I can't possibly work until I have coffee, and read Bill Simmons column, and listen to the Carolla podcast and watch some Youtube clips and masturbate and nap".

Okay, that last one was only mostly true.

Let me try this thing again, starting today. (Really? 'starting today'? That's a necessary description--of course it is starting today). I will try to write, read and edit each day. It is shocking how much easier it is to work, when I just start working. Yesterday I decided to tidy up my downstairs and ended up vacuuming, mopping, doing dishes, dusting and cleaning up most of the paper and clutter in the house. I am hoping this blog will work the same way. Just fucking start jackoff.

Speaking of jackoff comments, I talked to my Mom the other day and called someone a jackoff. She started to agree and said, "he is a bit of a jack...rabbit". It was pretty cute. My Mom doesn't swear a lot, and I must say it has some impact when she does. Of course, the impact is normally everyone chuckling like school children but an effect nonetheless.

Okay, that was a start. Go Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment