Monday, April 20, 2015

Thoughts on the Stanley Cup Playoffs: Day 5

1) I'm not a fan of early start times for playoff games. I understand it makes sense for everyone involved in the business. But, for fans, it takes the frenetic joy of 4 or 5 hours of concurrent hockey games and makes it a day long ordeal.

2) My two favourite things about the Stanley Cup playoffs are: the goalie who gets hot and carries a mediocre team deep into the playoffs; and, the journeyman player (let's call him a 'Weise' type) who scores important goal after important goal. Both are great examples of the will that determines so much of playoff success. (And luck too). The goalie stands in front of a better team, with world class snipers and a potent offence and says 'no'. The journeyman tries so hard, every shift, they are rewarded with ice-time and offensive chances. The environment for success in the NHL playoffs is like three tin can lids connected by rubber bands. You have to balance skill, will and luck between the three lids in order to succeed. This is why the NHL will always be a surprising, frustrating, joyful agony to watch.

3) As a Canucks fan I've cheered for a lot of unsavoury players in the past 7 or 8 years. It is better this year, with some notable departures. But, I still don't like cheering for Kevin Bieksa.

4) Speaking of the Canucks, how are they losing to this Calgary team? I know Hiller has been great, but this is ridiculous. It isn't surprising. At least, I'm not surprised. I am oddly comforted by their ineptitude. It feels like home.

5) I would like to see Washington get to the Cup Final. It isn't looking promising, but Ovie is an all-time great and we hold his playoff disappointments as evidence that contradicts this. That is bullshit. The only person who has ever been able to win a playoff series nearly singlehandedly is a goalie.

6) I can't manage to muster a fuck about Nashville vs Chicago.

7) I'd love to see Carey Price win the Cup. But, I'd like it more if they could do it without alerting all the self-righteous Canadiens fans in Canada.

8) I don't believe in the New York Rangers. Maybe I should, but I just can't.

9) I just finished watching the BCHL championship series. The culture of hockey is turning, more and more, into a culture of trash-talking and tough guy posing, without any consequence. I've said it many times,  but fighting isn't about individual games, but 'the game'. Fighting battles the egos and narcissism of young men. Fighting enforces modesty.

10) I chose ten things to mention for no reason, other than the symmetry and I never could wrap my head around base 12 number systems. Plus, as a Canucks fan number 10 Pavel Bure is greater than number 12 Stan Smyl.

(Okay, that last one was pretty lame).

No comments:

Post a Comment