Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thoughts on the Stanley Cup Playoffs: Days 6 - 8

1) Poor Winnipeg. Great fans. Fun team. The city has a real problem with racism, but so does most of the world. I guess I shouldn't hold it against the Jets. Big Buff looked ordinary for most of the series. Pavelec oscillated between unbelievably good and dishearteningly bad. They should be good for some time, and most teams do not go deep their first time into the playoffs.

2) Anaheim is not a likable team. For a Canucks fan, this gives me great satisfaction to say.

3) No player is more beloved by the media than Ryan Kesler. I don't understand. He is good. But, the media treats him like he's a more skilled version of Steve Yzerman. He had a great series once versus Nashville. Fine. Can we calm down that he helped beat fucking Nashville.

4) I know my dislike of Kesler is irrational. He just seems like such a douche.

5) Fine, 3 OTs, I'll care a bit about Nashville and Chicago.

6) Ottawa wins a game and shows why lifelong NHL goalies tend to be better than lifelong AHL goalies. Hammond has been a great story, and, just like they can't take away the Vezina Jim Carey stole from Hasek, they can't take away this run.

7) The state of hockey analysis is atrocious. (Says guy with a series of pointless comments on the games). The in-studio product is benign but boring (Grapes notwithstanding). It is also absurd at times. Kypreos explained to the audience that defenceman should simply play more like Lidstrom and be better positionally. Oh, is that all Nick? Just be as good as the best defenceman of his generation. Great advice. The colour commentary isn't much better. Stop explaining the obvious to us. I can see the game. Point out those things that are hard to pick up. Don't explain an obvious penalty, explain how someone got away with something and saved a goal with a subtle hook. So bad, so often.

8) The Canucks are sliding towards obscurity.

9) The Pens might be too. What a waste of talent.

10) With the Jets out, the Canucks about to go, I do not know who to cheer for. Calgary is a nice story, but I don't love the team. I know too many Habs fans to cheer for Montreal with any real effort. Maybe I cheer for Washington. It'll be exciting, and it'll break my heart. I'll find that comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment