Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Write (almost) Every Day - Part 4

This isn't news, but life is hard.

I've already failed at the "write every day" thing.

It was never realistic.

I'm busy. I'm middle-aged. My energy isn't boundless, like it once was.

But, I want to write as often as I can.

Today, this week, this time, I am going to write about perspective in media.

I need to stop skimming the surface of our world. It is too easy to fall victim to click-bait headlines and misconstrued summaries. I need to read the whole thing. I need to seek out original sources and original interviews and find the context of the catchy news.

I know this as an academic (using this term loosely).

I know this as an adult.

But, it is so very easy to succumb to headlines and short-cuts and bad takes. It is so easy to not try and understand.

On this day / week / period of writing I want to do better. I will seek the full story. I will look beyond the headline. \

Only then, I will judge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment