Friday, January 3, 2020

Write Every Day - Day 3

I'm reconsidering the need for indoor plumbing.

It's one of those things that is nice and convenient, until it isn't. And when it isn't, it is an unholy nightmare - a shit show, if you will.

I spent nearly 8 hours doing a 'simple' home repair today. It started as a replacement of a shut-off valve and turned into an entire day of cursing, sweating and praying that Google had answers for why the fucking Shark Bite wouldn't come back off.

As with most days of frustration and pain, there were lessons too.

Most of the issues were caused by my lack of knowledge, my lack of planning and my lack of proper equipment. It turns out that balancing on a 3 foot wooden stool to reach the ceiling isn't a great strategy.

But, I tried to remember that I am incredibly lucky. It is my family home. I have to do it, because I own it (ignoring the fact a mortgage company owns way more of it). I can go to three different hardware stores for supplies and advice. I can spend the money and the time to try and get it fixed. These are privileges. They didn't reduce the f-bombs count much, but they are still privileges.

Just to be safe, I'm preparing a latrine and cistern tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment