Saturday, March 28, 2009

Day 6: Math is Hard

Today I am continuing, after many starts and stops, my project of working a bit each and every day. Too often I have put off work because I did not have hours and hours to dedicate to reading and writing. But, as it turns out, if you work for only half an hour every day in a week you would have a half day of work accomplished. And for all of us semi-professional procrastinators (ie Grad Students) 3.5 hours of reading and writing is most of a book, or several articles, or a few pages of writing. Perhaps this is why I dropped out of sciences in my undergrad. I couldn't multiply 30 x 7 and realize that 210 minutes is enough to accomplish something. In my defence most of my undergrad I was drunk or hungover or actively disinterested in learning.

So, today I remembered, tomorrow I might forget, but life is all about remembering and forgetting.

2 comments:

  1. Does this mean I'm going to have to stop reading your blog while procrastinating? Now I'm going to have to work on my third section this afternoon. I might even read an article I've been sitting on. I remember - back, oh, four or five posts ago - when this blog was about assuaging our guilty consciences. You used to be about the procrastination, man. Now it exacerbates my feelings of unproductiveness. Well, I'm off to spend three hours trying to fit "exacerbate" in to a commentary on the transition from olicarchy to limited liberal democracy in early-modern Canada. There aren't many lonely nights in front of the laptop where I don't try and fit in "exaccerbate". Great word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, you miss my point. The point is to feel better about doing less.

    ReplyDelete