Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 9: Making the old new again

I love to listen to the same song over and over again. I will watch the same movie time and again, instead of renting a new one. I have watched certain t.v. series multiple times. And this is not because I am easily amused--although I am. It is because I discover new things with each listening, with each watching, with each experience.

Perhaps this is just reader response theory 101, that the text is always a synthesis of the words and the reader, and when the text is read the reader changes so a re-read is a new experience. Maybe it is being an introvert and preferring my own head space to almost anything else. Watching something new means I have to find someone to discuss it with, to fulfill the social experience. If I rewatch something, I can have that conversation with myself.

This brings me to the latest tune I am beating into the ground, "Morning Moon" by the Tragically Hip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTR9zohx058

Fucking great.

Speaking of great, this is also fucking great:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/john_hodgman_s_brief_digression.html

Go forth and do something again, for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment