Friday, June 14, 2013

Before History is Revised

I'm a new Dad, of twin boys. When I saw them for the first time I was fascinated, intrigued, and concerned. I also had no idea who they were. I should have expected this. But, I believed the popular narrative that the first look is love. That's revisionist history at work. The first look is a question: Who are you, and where are the people I constructed in my thoughts?

Of course, these little men will grow and change and I'll tell myself I loved them from the start. I wanted them. I needed to look after them. I had the instinct to protect and shelter. But I didn't love them, yet. How do you love something you don't know? Should you?

So, little ones, this a reminder for Dad to remember what is, not reinvent what was and try not to anticipate what might be.

You are here, in this moment and that is more than enough. No matter who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment