Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pop Culture Icons

Not surprisingly, most pop culture icons are grandiose blowhards, who believe too much of their own hype (for example: Bono or Madonna). But Leonard Cohen is awe-inspiring. I listened to his interview on CBC's 'Q' and it is remarkable. Poetry falls from him with such ease. One line from the interview makes sense of why I like him so much, and am bothered by so many who wish they could be like him. He always strives for "self-investigation without self-indulgence".

Of course, writing this in a blog is a warning sign of my own self-indulgence. But I try, with varying degrees of success, to emulate that spirit. I try to be self reflective, with out being self-absorbed. I don't comment on other blogs, and include a link to this in my signature. I am interested in understanding my place in the world so I can be a decent person. Naturally, this self-reflection sometimes becomes connected to ego and problems arise. But I do try.

Mostly, I just fucking love Leonard Cohen.

No comments:

Post a Comment