Thursday, April 17, 2014

Initial thoughts on the 2014 NHL playoffs

I fucking love the, more properly named, Stanley Cup playoffs.

I don't know of another sport that elevates the game so distinctly for the playoffs. Every year, like daylight savings, I find it shocking. It always surprises me. I don't have the time, or expertise, to write a long post but here are a few thoughts:

Cogliano has ridiculous wheels. No news here, but GD he's fast.

Getzlaf is tough. A few NHLers would still be down, after that shot to the face. Apparently Ryan had somewhere better to be. And I love that he wore a Roughriders shirt in warm up.

Marc-Andre Fleury still needs to settle down a bit in the net. It's not junior anymore. We need you to make all the saves, not just the highlight reel variety.

You can't hope to stop him, you can only contain Dale Weise (especially if you give him several wide-open shots from a dozen feet from your net).

I have never been more wrong than I was about Steven Stamkos. I saw him twice in junior and thought, "not that big a deal". I was DEAD FUCK WRONG.

Jonas Hiller will be in net during the first round.

So will Vokoun, probably.

Daniel Briere likes the playoffs still.

But not as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment