Monday, April 21, 2014

Quick Stanley Cup Playoff Thoughts: Day 6

Pittsburgh--still bad at defence, still good at offence.

Can anyone stop MacKinnon!?! Can anyone stop this arcade-mode 18 year old superstar!!!! Yes, apparently they can. I'm not taking a piss. He's been unbelievable. I just enjoy the inevitable response by the reactionary forces of the sporting world when too much of the media tells the same story. I'm sure this is all confirmation bias, but there seems a direct correlation between something's media coverage tipping point and the inevitable and quick end of that thing. I'm reminded of the all the talk about Peyton Manning's legacy and the overwhelming notion that he was about to prove he was the greatest quarterback of all time. The media couldn't get enough. And then he flopped. It seems to happen all the time. That's the evil genius of confirmation bias, and why things like stats and analytics matter. Since I don't do this for a living, or care enough to do statistical analysis of something so trivial, I'm going to enjoy my biases.

Wow, Minny won a game. I guess I'll take back my suggestions that Bryz is the current day Patrick Lalime, or Dan Cloutier. I'm sorry, Darcy who? Never mind.

Chicago and St. Louis continue to soften each other up for their next opponent. Good. I like the NHL better when St. Louis is a consistent disappointment and Chicago doesn't win.

Cookie. Oh Matty, why? I'm sure it was a flash decision to get any piece of someone you can, as they skate by. But you are going away for a long time. Image rehab starts next fall, again.

Anaheim, that's what happens when you don't try and Dallas does. Plus Lehtonen was great. If that guy could stay healthy, eh? Let's try and show up next time Anaheim. Do it for number 8. I don't want you to win the Cup. I'd like to see Iggy get his. But Teemu deserves more than a first round exit from a bunch of kids in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment