Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Quick Stanley Cup Playoff Thoughts: Day 7

San Jose are actual Cup contenders. Actually, read that with a sharp rise in intonation at the end, as if it were a question: "San Jose are actual Cup contenders"? This goes against all truth in hockey. Then again, I'm sure they've looked good in round one before. Maybe we're collectively overestimating the Kings. It wouldn't be the first time a Cup winner, or contender, was given the benefit of the doubt years after their successes. (Hello beloved, and hated, Vancouver Canucks). If the Sharks can do it, let it be a Sharks / Bruins final. Either Joe or Iggy will win a Cup. I'm okay with both possibilities.

Speaking of Iggy, Boston wins again. I don't particularly like Boston but, as I said before, I loathe Detroit. I'll be happy when they're gone. Tuukka Rask is playing great. Chara is a creature of fairy tale lore. I mean O.G. (Original Grimm) fairy tales, not Disney. Lucic is a maniac and must be a nightmare to play against. It must be easier, at least a little, if the rats are like Lapierre or Marchand. In theory, you can pummel them if they stick you one too many times. There aren't a lot of guys that want to fight Milan. Plus, Chara is around to trample villagers and eat all your cattle and sheep if you try.

A couple media people were asking where Gustav Nyquist is? He's exactly the same place Zetterberg and Datsyuk were for their first few playoff appearances--the corner of overwhelmed and under-performing. Most players have trouble understanding the extra effort it takes to excel in the playoffs. (I say, as if I have a fucking clue). Even the all-time great teams usually fail on their first trip up the mountain. As the media loves to remind us, the Stanley Cup playoffs are really fucking hard.

The Rangers are looking good. If only Vancouver could get a coach with Vigneault's......oh, right. (Okay, that's enough whining about my godforsaken team). Philly needs Mason back, or a cure for brain damage and a refreshed Chris Pronger. Ray Emery isn't taking this porous defence too far. I'm not sure Mason is either. I miss Pronger. With all due respect to Lidstrom, he may have been the best defenceman of his generation.

Montreal sweeps. I think we all saw this coming. Maybe not all of us. Maybe no one. I wish they had put in the Latvian kid earlier. He might be something special. Or, he might be a decent backup with one legendary Olympics to tell his grandkids about. Either way, I love Latvian goalies, be they tiny like Irbe or large like Gudlevskis.

Random, and unrelated thought: Driftwood Brewery in Victoria, British Columbia is absolutely fantastic. If you ever find yourself in Vic you should go there.


No comments:

Post a Comment