Sunday, April 20, 2014

Quick Stanley Cup Playoff Thoughts: Day 4

I love everything about early starts on a Saturday. I love watching several games of hockey, starting at noon and being done with enough time to enjoy the evening. It's the opposite of living in Ottawa as a Canucks' fan the year they played Dallas and most games went deep into overtime and into the wee hours of the morning. I don't miss that. I love these early games. Unfortunately, I love them more in theory now. Being a modern, paranoid and first-time parent I'm not letting my kids watch t.v. until they are at least two. I'm about ninety percent certain it will make no difference, but I read something somewhere that said it was bad and it felt right. Plus, t.v. during the day is kind of terrible. Although we do sneak an occasional peak at the scores and few seconds of play.

Chicago: two tough losses and getting cheap and vicious. Luckily no one on the team will fight, because we'd hate to have violence in hockey.

St. Louis: two great wins and it seems lucky, not destined. If I was a fan, maybe I'd be getting excited. I don't think this is the start of their fairy tale. Can Miller win overtime after overtime on the way to a Cup and Conn Smythe? No. He might take out Chicago, before a hobbled Blues teams loses in the second round.

Minny: Bryz, out. He's looking more and more like Patrick Lalime, or Dan Cloutier. (Which is unfair, and neither are as bad as remembered. But, it's the story that will be told).

Colarado: It's going to be hard to get MacKinnon in the middle rounds of my fantasy draft next year. I thought this team was poised for a second round sweep. Maybe not. Although, I can't imagine them going deep. (Stellar analysis so far, eh? I did say these were quick thoughts).

The Pens: Pittsburgh needs to retool their team. They remind me of a minor hockey team with a couple of superstars and a bunch of below-average players. They seem great, because you focus on the stars. Then they lose tournament after tournament because 4 okay lines beats 1 great and 3 sub-par lines most days.

Lumbus: I don't know why rooting for CBJ is a thing, but GO BLUE JACKETS.......I guess. The only thing that strikes me as interesting about CBJ is watching another Vancouver Canuck prospect cast-off, R.J. Umberger, put in workmanlike and effective minutes for them. Vancouver does not draft well enough to give up on so many tops picks. (Michael Grabner, how are you? Bryan Allen, looking good with the Ducks). Ugh. The Canucks stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment